Blizzard has Nost by the balls? What about The Rebirth?

Your forum to discuss anything The Rebirth related matters.

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

ByteKnight
Voice of Amnennar the Coldbringer

Blizzard has Nost by the balls? What about The Rebirth?

Postby ByteKnight » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:21 pm

If you look at it sure seems like blizz has got them by the balls. The date of the thread is 14.1.2017. The date of the post about rebirth being shut down is 12.1.2017.

Yes, I do have trust issues, and yes, coincidences happen. So there's a good chance I'm just seeing things. But I feel like this is a valid concern nonetheless.
Zyokk - Shiroe - Chask
Zardian

Re: Blizzard has Nost by the balls? What about The Rebirth?

Postby Zardian » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Better known as Stromgar nowadays
Zazzerpan
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Postby Zazzerpan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm

My lack of interest or concern for shill servers has kept me in the dark but even when I read here and there I still don't really know wtf is going on.
So nostrils wanted their shit back from elysium but at the same time they decided to shut shit down and now elysium has taken over in a sense?
Nosetrail RIP The Sequel 2, Lawsuit Boogaloo I guess?

If there truly was a correlation between Nostrils and Reborp closing I feel the news announcement would have been more straightforward and to the point, ultimatum and all.

Y'know, it seemed pretty clear for some months up until the Reboop announcement that devs and gms wanted to wind down.
The writing was on the wall and it was just a matter of when would be convenient to finally pull the plug. Coincidence imo.
Also I was under the impression that since TPP got turned down that there was less cause for concern with Blizzturd?
Shanazon
Voice of Princess Theradras

Postby Shanazon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:28 pm

I wouldn't figure that TRB would even show up on Blizz's radar but hey, what do I know?
kawklee
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby kawklee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:28 pm

TPP has nothing to do w/ it

Also, if Blizz had leaned on TRB they would have A) shut it down from the host/server side, B ) demanded TRB shut down immediately. They wouldnt have given a grace period.

A grace period occurs though when you pay for server space in 3, 6, 12 month blocks, and it just so happens that you're paid all the way through to March or so, and you're okay stepping aside (we're okay with you guys stepping aside too, <3 for the great times) and you want to let people know so they don't log in March 1 and go "WAT".

Nost has increased blizz pressure because they've always wanted to be a part of Blizz if possible. They think, "we've done the best job re-coding vanilla, we should be on the team if/when legacy servers are released." They've surrendered their relative anonymity, and now have to answer directly to Blizz for things their team does. The situations are not analogous.
Zazzerpan

Postby Zazzerpan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Shanazon
Voice of Princess Theradras

Postby Shanazon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 pm

They fought the good fight and are now on an extremely short leash. They gave away the store in the form of an olive branch and got that same olive branch shoved directly up their asses and so with it, a unified community.

I hate the fact that we've been split up and moved and rearranged and everything else, but if they think they're going to MAKE me play legion, they've got another thing coming. In the past weeks it has been made plain to me that I can't even handle vanilla on a Wotlk server without freaking out, so I'm not holding out much hope for going anywhere else but vanilla.
Last edited by Shanazon on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowie
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Postby Bowie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:29 pm

IIRC, Blizzard stated that the only reason they would've chasen down a private server is because it got bigger enough to make some noise on the Internet, meaning that Blizz must take legal actions in order to protect their copyrights. Nost achieved that "noisy" level so they had to eliminate it. :no:

I highly doubt they give a flying fuck about a server with 150 people online at peak times.
Gengy

Postby Gengy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:53 am

hammered

Postby hammered » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:13 am

The lawsuit against Nostalrius was also a bit of a marketing move just before Legion. Not only were 200-300k players suddenly interested in what Blizzard has to say (which they played along really fine, with the false meeting and high hopes rising), but most of them probably renewed their subscriptions in a form of premature excitement.
The only other big lawsuit I've been familiar with was against Scape-gaming, a server that operated on donations. Back then a member of their staff leaked their donations/income info which showed they were making tens of thousands per month.

Just google and you'll see that all the drama right now is nothing compared to what could have happened if Nost or Rebirth had donations for items allowed:
"On Thursday, the California Central District Court ruled in favor of the game maker and ordered Scapegaming to pay back “$3,053,339 of inappropriate profits, $63,600 of attorney’s fees, and $85,478,600 of statutory damages.”"

Return to “General”