Priest leveling talenting

For the masters of healing arts supporting their allies and bringing them beyond their capacities. Light and Shadow influences themselves. None can be without the other.

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

Thorinos
Voice of Hogger

Priest leveling talenting

Postby Thorinos » Sun May 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Heyya all. First of all if there is a better place for this topic feel free to direct me to it!

Im a noobie when it comes to Vanilla priests, and most classes for that matter.

Currently around level 20 and am wondering what spec tree's you priests would recommend. I would like to be able to not suck completely when solo questing, but also be able to hop into a dungeon every now and then to heal without having to respec everytime. Is this possible? do we have any spec recommendations for low or mid level preists?

Are there any talents that are "must haves" for healer preists that I will be laughed out of the group for not having?

Since this is one of my first foyer in Vanilla, any and all advice would be aweseome :)
Jimjam
Voice of King Gordok

Re: Priest leveling talenting

Postby Jimjam » Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Step 1: buy wand (or make it if you're an enchanter)
Step 2: wand spec
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit
Thorinos
Voice of Hogger

Postby Thorinos » Sun May 15, 2016 4:18 pm

I understand wands are good.

Im more asking about Spec expectations priests have when healing dungeons, and a recommended spec route for leveling. Here are some dumb question examples..

-Is speccing shadow for leveling a good idea?
-If i do spec shadow will i still be able to comfortably heal lower level dunegons?
-at what point (level) should i become a dedicated healing spec for healing dunegons? (or is a dedicated heal spec always required even doing RFC)
-Are there any specific talents that are must-haves for all healing preists?
-Holy or disc?
-Am i way overthinking everything and can i just hop into a dungeon and expect to have no mana or healing issues?

Im just trying to save myself some respec gold expenses in the future.
I know I could trial and error all of this, but i feel like an experienced priest could point me in the right direction and save me alot of hassle.
Zaakir
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Zaakir » Sun May 15, 2016 4:23 pm

5/5 wand spec and 5/5 spirit tap are essential, really. 2/2 Healing Focus is pretty nice too, as is Martyrdom for leveling (and loose mobs in dungeons). Otherwise it's up to you; shadow can heal just fine in most dungeons until you get into the 50s and is best for solo'ing, disc/holy are okay but obviously slower.

You do need to be mindful of your mana. If you really really want to heal dungeons as you level then go holy, though I leveled as disc and it was fine -- you get mana regen sooner and inner focus helps, but then again so do -casttime in holy. Power Infusion is great at higher level :)

Make sure to keep your wand up to date!
Thorinos
Voice of Hogger

Postby Thorinos » Thu May 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Cool, Good info here. Thanks Zaakir.

I noticed the Spirit Tap buff only actually activiates if im the person who gets the killing Blow on the mob being killed. Is this working as intended? seems like a lot of luck involved especially in dungeons if im trying to steal KB's.
Logix
Voice of Mekgineer Thermaplugg

Postby Logix » Thu May 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Talents for solo leveling:

10-14: 5/5 Spirit Tap
15-19: 5/5 Wand Spec
20-21: 2/2 Imp SW:P
22-24: 3/5 Shadow Focus
25: Mind Flay (This skill SUCKS before lvl36 anyway)
26-27: 5/5 Shadow Focus (HIGHLY recommended over Blackout)
28-29: 2/2 Imp Psychic Scream (Filler)
30-32: 3/3 Shadow Reach
33-37: 5/5 Shadow Weaving (Best available, not a grinding talent)
38: Silence
39: VE
Logix level 60 Mage
Orcward level 30 Warrior
Branch
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Postby Branch » Thu May 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Thinking back I levelled full shadow + wand spec. I wanted to maximise your kills per hour, so this means minimising down time. As most levelling is done alone (unless you've got a buddy with you all of the time), then shadow is pretty efficient. Just play around with your rotation, and know when to start wanding (to be sure you're maximising your spirit tap procs).

As far as instance healing goes, I managed to heal most sub-60 instances without a single point in Holy. So long as you and your tank are not massively under-level for the instance you should be fine. Don't go in spamming flash-heal and your mana should last for most fights. If you find you're struggling in some instances, wait a level or two, pick up some +int gear, and practice down-ranking (mana is usually the issue).

TBH, despite being shadow-specced, I found healing instances easier than DPSing (mana-wise) while levelling.
Zaakir
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Zaakir » Thu May 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Return to “Priest”