Raiding as Shadow Spec

For the masters of healing arts supporting their allies and bringing them beyond their capacities. Light and Shadow influences themselves. None can be without the other.

Moderators: Admin, Gamemaster

Branch
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Raiding as Shadow Spec

Postby Branch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Hello Shadow Priests!

So I've enjoyed being shadow for the last few months but have recently have been thinking about going back to healing. I'm kinda looking to hear if my experiences with the spec are similar to other SPs out there.

My main reason for thinking about going back to healing is that I don't like the feeling of being carried in raids, I like to be one of the big contributors. As shadow I'm often somewhere in the middle of the damage meters (I can push to sometimes making the top 10 of MC if I flask and pot my ass off but without any AOE dps or the ability to sustain dps for a really long fight it can be tough).

One of the big issues is that to really max shadow dps we need to take more than our fair share of debuff slots: mind-flay, SW:P, shadow weaving, VE, (intentionally not mentioning devouring plague). With only 1 shadow priest in a raid it's probably annoying for other classes to have their debuffs bumped off, but if there are 2 or more SPs then the debuff issue become a major problem. Multiple SW:Ps and mind-flays really do take up space on a boss fight.

Are there any SPs out there who have different thoughts about the class? Is there something that I'm missing that a SP gives to a raid (other than help the locks)?

Cheers,

Branch
Bragi
Voice of Archmage Arugal

Re: Raiding as Shadow Spec

Postby Bragi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:47 pm

Hey Branch,

I think that the only thing you should ask yourself is whether you enjoy the spec or not. Most people who play support specs probably feel a little useless from time to time, but I personally find it very rewarding to play a shadow priest because of the odds stacked against me. Farming consumables and demonic runes is certainly a massive pain, but it's a necessary sacrifice to play the spec that I love.

The harsh reality however is that it's quite impractical to bring more than 1 or 2 shadow priests to a raid because of the debuff slots, just like you mentioned. We don't really provide much more than a damage buff for locks, extra heals and a little variety. :P

Don't forget that the greatest joy of being a shadow priest is stealing gear from warlocks. :lol4:
Branch
Voice of Scarlet Commander Mograine

Postby Branch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:08 pm

Kainnee
Voice of Baron Rivendare

Postby Kainnee » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:34 am

If you enjoy being shadow you should stay that. Gathering a second set for healing is what every hybrid should do.

And seriously, if debuffslots are an issue I'd rather force the freaking warriors to forget Impale and remove Deep Wounds from their spec.
aka Zerkee on Horde.

Return to “Priest”